- How to Disable Steam Input
- How to Open the Quick Access Menu
- How to Re-Arrange the Controller Order
- Cemu Native: How to Configure Gyro With External Controllers
- Citra: How to Configure Gyro With External Controllers
- Dolphin: How to Configure Gyro With External Controllers
- mGBA: How to Use the Gyro Sensor With External Controllers
- mGBA: How to Use the Tilt Sensor With External Controllers
- RPCS3: How to Set Up the Motion Sensor with External Controllers
- Ryujinx: How to Configure Gyro With External Controllers
- Vita3K: How to Configure Gyro With External Controllers
- Yuzu: How to Configure Gyro With External Controllers
- Cemu Native: How to Configure Multiplayer
- Cemu Proton: How to Configure Multiplayer
- Dolphin: How to Configure Multiplayer
- DuckStation: How to Configure Multiplayer
- MAME: How to Configure Multiplayer
- melonDS: How to Configure Multiplayer
- mGBA: How to Configure Multiplayer
- PCSX2: How to Configure Multiplayer
- RetroArch: How to Configure Multiplayer
- Rosalie's Mupen GUI: How to Configure Multiplayer
- RPCS3: How to Configure Multiplayer
- Ryujinx: How to Configure Multiplayer
- Xemu: How to Configure Multiplayer
- Xenia: How to Configure Multiplayer
- Yuzu: How to Configure Multiplayer
Steam Input is the foundation of controls on the Steam Deck. It's what allows EmuDeck to set up a standardized control scheme across emulators. Steam Input allows you to use a controller with any game or emulator.
However, Steam Input might also conflict with native features of the controller. One example is that Steam Input does not properly expose the gyro for external controllers to emulators. In these cases, you will need to disable Steam Input and allow the controller to "talk" directly to the emulator to properly expose these features.
You may need to restart to ensure Steam Input is properly disabled.
This page will cover how to utilize Steam Input with external controllers, and how to use workarounds when Steam Input does not properly expose various features of an external controller.
If you are facing issues with the 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G Wireless Controller having double inputs, you may consider disabling Steam Input for the respective game causing you issue.
Read How to Disable Steam Input to learn how to disable Steam Input.
Read the Preface section for more information on how Steam Input interacts with your controller.
Disabling Steam Input may allow you to use your external controller's gyro in multiple emulators, including Cemu, Dolphin, Ryujinx, and Yuzu.
- Select a game, emulator, or EmulationStation-DE
- On the game's page, click the Controller icon
- Select your controller tab at the top
- Select the Gear icon to the right of
Disable Steam Input
- Use this same menu to re-enable Steam Input
- You may need to restart first for this setting to properly apply
For a video, see below:
In Desktop Mode, exit out of Steam. You may exit out of Steam by right clicking the
Steam icon in your taskbar and clicking
Do note that since your controls are tied to Steam being open, your controls will revert to
Lizard Mode. You can use
L2 to right click,
R2 to left click, and the
Right Trackpad to move the mouse.
- Nintendo Switch Controllers:
- PlayStation Controllers:
- Xbox Controllers:
- Steam Controllers:
If your controller is not in the above list:
To find the button combination, hold the GUIDE button for 3 seconds and look for the QUICK ACCESS MENU button combination in the list.
For a full list of button combinations, hold the GUIDE button for 3 seconds.
If you are using external controllers, you may need to re-arrange the controller orders in order for one external controller to be identified as "Player 1" and for the other controllers to correctly be identified with their corresponding user. With emulation and on occasion Steam games, re-arranging the controller is necessary for external controllers to be recognized.
To re-arrange the controller order:
On an external controller, open the
Nintendo Switch Controllers: HOME + A PlayStation Controllers: PLAYSTATION BUTTON + X Xbox Controllers: GUIDE BUTTON + A Steam Controllers: STEAM BUTTON + A To find the button combination, hold the GUIDE button for 3 seconds and look for the QUICK ACCESS MENU button combination in the list
Quick Settingsmenu (Gear icon)
- Scroll down to the bottom, click
Rearrange controller order
- Select your controller order
- If you are using a single external controller, swap the external controller and the Steam Deck so the external controller is first in the list
For a video, see below:
The controller compatibility section discusses the compatibility on various controllers and how well they work on the Steam Deck.
How to Configure 8BitDo Mod Kit for Original N64 Controller With RetroArch
- Set controller to switch mode
- Disable Steam Input for RetroArch or whichever game you are opening through RetroArch
- Download configuration and place in
- Forget / Reconnect controller Bluetooth every time you connect the controller